Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Rage


Sometimes we can't control things in our lives and that really frustrates us. But when this frustration escalates due to an accumulation of other frustrations, we get angry and if we can't vent this anger, then it turns into rage!!

Not too long ago, I was in rage. I felt like I needed to destroy something to make me feel better . At the same time, I was aware that by doing such a thing it wouldn't help things, it wouldn't make it any better. At what point does someone lose control and lets Mr Hyde take over Dr Jekyll? What has to take place in order for our Hulk to appear and leave our Banner in the shadows?

My Banner hass always been present fortunately, except on two occasions where I have been pushed to the point were my interior Hulk exploded. This story will come as no surprise for I think we've heard it many times before or we know someone who has gone through something similar. I was your typical dweeb in junior high; short, skinny and with glasses. I would be bullyed by a taller and stronger guy and his posse. He tried to steal my book once, as well as my lunch and he just didn't seem to get enough fun out of the daily violence he would direct my way. As usual, during a break between classes, he approached our group and was about to start picking on us when all of a sudden something clicked inside of me.

It all happened so fast, I didn't realise what I was doing, this raw energy came out of nowhere and made me jump towards him. Somehow I had grabbed him by the neck with an arm and had pulled him down and started ramming his head against a wall. All of this just took seconds. He wasn't really hurt but because it took him by surprise, it really shook him up... and me too.

I only remember coming back to myself when they had separated the fight. I was trembling and couldn't understand what had happened. Some people were patting me on the back and giving me the thumbs up but I was scared of what had happened. Never had I experienced such a thing. After that, he cooled down and gave me and my friends some space. Now I don't think that violence solves anything and I've always considered myself a pacifist. I think reason and logic is the way to go. But that day I learned that you have to stand up for yourself and not let people push you around. My inner Hulk had come out of the shadows and showed me this. It's quite ironic that, at first glance, an image of complete brute force with no clear reason, such as the Hulk, can be conidered a hero.

Violence isn't the way. Rage, being such a fantastic force should never be used. My Banner is in control and he prevails. No matter how much rage I might feel, my Hulk has been kept quiet.

No comments: