Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sticks and Stones


Funny how places can change. I'm not talking about the place in itself but what they represent in our lives. What once was a happy fun place can become an empty sad place. It doesn't matter how beautiful the place is, the experiences that you lived there determines the way you will look upon it. Memories are so powerful.

The past weekend I went for a walk around Eastbourne, not too far from Wellington. I had been wanting to go back for quite a while since it's a special place in my life. I wanted to relive the good memories that it once brought me. It would've been more enjoyable if that special person was with me still. I wanted to go back there with her.

However strong and compelling it was to pick up a stick and whack some stones towards the sea, I couldn't find myself with the drive to do so. Something so easy and natural to do, something that you do as a kid all the time has somehow become difficult. Last time I did it, not only was it easy and fun but it was awesome!! I was sharing one of those moments that you'll never forget in your life. No matter how many years are to come, it will be ingrained in your mind as if it were just yesterday. There had been a bet to see how many stones could be hit with a stick at one go. I was impressed when the count totaled 9 in a row.


The day was perfect. We would run a few meters ahead from the rest of the group and steal kisses from each other. Nobody knew yet about our relationship and hiding around made it even more exciting. One of our first photos together was taken on that day. A piggy back ride was the last thing we did on that walk. we never made it to the lighthouses but it didn't matter. It couldn't get any better than that.

Memories aside, this trip I did on the weekend was shared with a group of friends who come from different parts of the world. I think that most of my friends are foreigners really so it comes as no surprise. Most of them had never been in this area before and they quite liked it. I got to see the lighthouses too! To be honest, it is a nice place despite the memories. It will never be the same again.



No comments: